Equine Sports Massage Therapist, ESMT
Sports Massage will prepare you to work with horses who participate in any type of riding and working life. We learn to work with horses who are in all disciplines… weekend warriors; competition horses – dressage, eventing, endurance, jumping; trail horses; retired racehorses; and everyone in between.
In class, we focus on the following: (158 home study cognitive hours)
- In-depth equine anatomy – more muscles and organ systems
- Introduction to kinesiology
- Pre-massage considerations for athletes
- Massage strokes and techniques of sports massage
- Discussion on the importance of saddle fit, dentistry, hoof care
- Introduction to the basics of stretching
- Post-massage considerations specific to athletes
- Body assessment, gait analysis, conformation vs. compensation
- Specific conditions relating to athletes
- Building your practice in the sports industry
- Pathologies relating to athletes
- Common injuries and current rehab protocols
The course is designed for you to work at your own pace. You will have 18 months to complete your coursework. When you are ready, you will need to take the following and submit them: business exam and final written exam. You will also submit a video of your practicum massage. You are welcome to schedule an on-site practicum at one of our campuses instead of submitting a video. After you pass your tests, you will start your six weeks of case studies. These “real-life” experiences help prepare you to work with clients and gain confidence to start your practice. Once your case studies have been approved, you will receive your final certification.
Introduction to therapeutic massage must be taken first, other massage classes may be taken in any order.
NBCAAM is the national board certification testing organization and they require additional hours for correspondence students to sit for the test. Students will need to attend at least 2 classes on-campus.
Take advantage of our Multi-Class Discounts! Enroll and pay for two or more classes and receive a 10% discount on your class tuition. The discount is applied at final processing.
Please Note: Contact us via email to obtain the correct Enrollment. If you have any questions, please call the RMSAAM office at 303-660-9390.